Tuesday, September 13, 2005

The first 1971

This is the first thing I remember intentionally sitting down to draw.
I was 4 years old. It is from a candle that was on my grandmother's table. She made the candle.
The candle was dark green with a gold flamingo and it smelled like pine.

I remember knowing that I could draw it. I knew I could draw anything I wanted to.
This memory has played a very large role in the development of my belief system.
Was I born with the ability? Was this some leftover karma from a past life? Something not yet resolved?

Regardless, drawing became my sanctuary. It was the place I would hide when the world didn't make sense.



Note that I had a very difficult time staying inside the lines, or even outside of them, with the big fat brush that came in those 5-color watercolor sets.
Also note that pink and orange are not in the 5 color set. Pretty smart kid huh.
;)